Summer in Philippines - Circumcision for Young Boys



Saturday, May 7, 2011

Noise coming outside our compound's gate woke me this morning. when I peeked, young boys are lining up on the street towards the Christian building across the street.

I later found out that the Christian org is sponsoring free circumcision for those boys in line.

Yes, summer in the Philippines is also associated with circumcision. Summer vacation allows boys undergoing this procedure have ample time to heal.


Summer is Circumcision time in the Philippines
Image from here.

Circumcision, the removal of the foreskin of a male's penis, is a rite of passage for young boys in our country. Apart from tradition, the ongoing belief is that it is good for the male hygiene.

Some 20 summers ago, I myself went through it. I can still recall the lovely nurse that aided that female doctor who ushered me into manhood.

In older times of my kuyas, circumsicion isn't done by doctors. During those days tuli is conducted via "pukpok". Tales of a local (often an albularyo) using a labaja for the removal of the foreskin, boys chewing guava leaves, jumping to a nearby river, wearing skirt or loose shorts, protecting the "cut" from being seen by females and words like "german cut" & "nangamatis" were common.

I do not hear circumscion via "pukpok" anymore. Most circumcision are now done by doctors just like mine. Clinics nowadays have signages about circumcision. One, I saw, charge 750 php. I think that is well and good for the next generation of males.

Those boys who lined up this morning will go to bed tonight as young men and their parents will be thankful of the savings.


Newly-circumcised Boys
Collage Images found Online



0 comments:

Looking for Something Else? SEARCH it HERE

Sponsors

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP